This guide covers the installation of cosmetic mods (weapons and armor skins) from mordhau.mod.io. You should read it entirely before installing cosmetic mods.
It assumes that the mod creator has followed the format recommended in this guide
NB : Cosmetics mods are not compatible with auto-download, subscribing to them won’t make them available on your server. It is only a client side modification.
How to install a cosmetic mod
1. On the mod’s page, download the file by clicking on it under “Releases”.
The file that has the close to it is the latest version.
2. Once downloaded, you’ll need to unzip the file. This is done by simply right clicking on it and select “Extract here”. If you don’t have any program to unzip the file, download and install 7zip for instance (7-zip.org)
3. Follow this video guide to install the mod : Youtu.be
This video does not cover the part where you can optionally back-up the mordhau files to uninstall the mod later (see below)
4. How to uninstall a cosmetic mod
There are 2 ways of uninstalling a cosmetic mod :
- By verifying the integrity of game files in the Mordhau properties on steam :
It will uninstall all the cosmetic mods.
-By creating a backup of the files that will be modified when you install a mod.
To know what files/folder you have to back-up, you’ll have to look for them in the folder that you downloaded from mod.io.
You’d then only have to copy this backup to your mordhau install to revert to the default skin of a weapon/armor.
Frequently asked questions and common issues
- If the mod does not appear in game, it is most likely that you didn't properly copied the files (for example, copying the files in the wrong folder, asking to extract in a new folder, or rejecting the replacement of files when copying them). Contact the mod creator if you think the files aren't formatted properly.
- You won't get banned for using a cosmetic mod shared here, as they don't give any advantage.
- The hitbox will be different when you play in local, but in multiplayer it will be the exact same hitbox as the default weapon it replaces.
- Some weapons looks better depending on video settings (for instance bloom for lightsabers)