Reminder : This guide is about skins and audio mods that work only for the player that have them installed (local mods). It is not about maps. If you want to know how to play maps locally you can check this guide -> Mordhau.mod.io
Local mods are not compatible with auto-download, subscribing to them won't make them available on your server or your game.
There are 2 ways to install a local mod in mordhau :
I. Manual installation
1. On the mod's page, download the file by clicking on it under “Releases”. The file that has the close to it is the latest version.
2. Once downloaded, you'll have to unzip the file. This is done by simply right clicking on it and select “Extract here”. If you don't have any program to unzip the file, download and install 7zip for instance (7-zip.org)
3. Place the .pak file in the following folder of the Mordhau installation : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mordhau\Mordhau\Content\Paks
(if your mordhau installation is not here, it means that you have selected another folder to install Mordhau. If you don't know where it is, you can right click on Mordhau in steam -> properties -> local files -> browse local files).
4. Launch the game and enjoy !
II. Installing mods with the Mordhau Buddy application
Shmew created the Mordhau Buddy application, that has different features including a local mod manager. You should definitely check out this app !
Link to the releases : Github.com
Select the latest version.exe (as of the 15th of january, it is this one :
Link to the documentation : Shmew.github.io
You can report eventual issues on the modding discord in the #mordhau-buddy channel.
Frequently asked questions and common issues
- You won't get banned for using a local mod shared here, as they don't give any advantage.
- The hitbox will be different when you play in local, but in multiplayer it will be the exact same hitbox as the default weapon it replaces.
- Some weapons looks better depending on video settings (for instance bloom & postprocess for lightsabers)